To impart a new look to your interiors at the onset of a different season; the best way is to change the decor. With the winter approaching, it is time to switch the ‘feel’ on your homes to welcome winter with your unique style. Winter is a season which tends to take away a lot of colors from nature. There is less of sunlight, more grey sky, fewer leaves on trees & even lesser flowers. Winter decor is all about adding warmth & colors to your decor so that your home can still be a spirit.
Here are some winter decor ideas & DIY tips to help you add charisma without digging on your pennies.
The mantra for winter is to ‘go colorful’. The warm side of the color wheel is your ideal choice, colors like orange, yellow, red & gold give an instant feeling of warmth & coziness. These colors can be added to soft furnishings, walls, ceiling, rugs, and accessories. An instant remedy to get warmth is to paint your walls in warm colors or just add wallpaper since walls occupy the greatest sq. ft. area, in any room; the effect of any color applied is immediate.
Yellow reflects the sunny side of the life and communicates happiness. It is a high activity color thereby for dining, kitchens, lobby or entrances. Yellow gives a warm welcoming feel. It is suggestive to use yellow in low proportions when designing romantic and sensual setting in the bedroom. Though this is a cheerful color, it is said to create frustration, fatigue, and anger in human beings. Yellow can also increase the metabolism. Yellow used to stress a few areas in a bedroom can do wonders. E.g. yellow will add a few accessories like a table lamp, photo frames, rugs, or in a wallpaper to highlight one wall. A small amount of this color will keep you romantically active and add joy to the room.
Red is a colour that radiates optimism and strikes a note of joy. A little mix of red furnishings to wood finish in the bedroom injects a note of passion. Red also oozes positive energy is used in a limited quantity. The accessories like rugs, furnishings, and show pieces are the best way to use red as these will change anytime.
- Candle & Candle Holders: Adding a few candles along with some natural elements into your table escape will be a perfect accent to your holiday gatherings.Keeping the furniture or bulky items fixed, just with the change a few accessories, the whole feel of the room changes instantly. It is advisable to invest in 2-3 sets of accessories as with just a flick one can change the theme immediately. Accessories add a personal touch that gives your house its character & turns it into a home. Accessories also allow us to the opportunity to have fun with new ideas & creativity and to add variety.
- Wall Interior, Decor & Mirrors: Change the artwork displayed with deep warm color to add a zing to your room.
- Soft Furnishing Cushions, Rugs, Curtains & Throws: When it comes to change, the easiest is to change the soft furnishings. As it is the easiest change that reflects in the whole home with a little cost. It is the easiest way to enjoy seasonal changes & save money without sacrificing on style. You can include cushions, soft seating, throws, curtains, rugs, carpets, towels & blankets to soft furnishing. In winters it is advisable to double layer your window covering. The heavier drapery will close to help keep chilly winds that might penetrate the windows, but these heavy draperies also open on sunny days to allow winter sunshine to flow through a light-colored pair of sheer curtains. Rugs & carpets not only feel good and warm under your feet but also add a rich ambiance.
- The showpiece, vases pots, and photo frames: These knickknacks can add a zing to your home by complementing your main winter decor.
- Planters and Flowers: Greenery in any form is always an ‘eye tonic’. It adds freshness and also keeps energy level balanced in the house. You can also add artificial flowers but they tend to get dirty soon and are not easily cleanable.
- Fragrance: You can add fragrance with scented candles, fresh flowers, aroma oil burners or dispensers. Every fragrance has its effect on the mood of an individual. It is advisable to layer up the fragrance of your home by choosing the candles, oil burners and room fresheners of the same fragrance and using them together. Cinnamon and lemongrass both are wonderful aromas will use in winters.
- Fireplace: It is a great idea to sit near a real fireplace in a cozy chair and read a book thru a weary winter evening. Building an original fireplace is a task, there are a lot of companies which offer ready to use the fireplace that is low in smoke emission as well.
Winter decor should say the ambiance style and mood you want to create for each room. The key is to avoid compromising the functionality to blend with the decor.