The life and work profile of an interior designer is very intriguing. As easy as this job might seem, there are a lot of key factors and elements of interior design that have to be kept in mind. This Interior design guide has been created by the best interior designer in Delhi, Ansa Interiors.
Find information about everything that there is to know about interior designing in this guide. We are sure that by the time you finish reading this guide, you will have enough information about interior designers. We have taken into account questions like what interior designers do, how they charge, how to hire an interior designer and so much more. Any query that you might have about interior designing, you can find all the answers here.
1. How Interior Designers Charge
It can be tricky for some to understand how an interior designer charges in India. Every interior designer in Delhi charges a different amount, based on the site budget and the amount of work required. There are multiple ways an interior designer charges in India. Some can charge per hour, others choose to charge depending on the project value. Despite everything, it is important to note that an Interior designer plays a vital role in making your space more aesthetic and habitable.
Mentioned below are a few tips that an Interior designer in Delhi uses to charge well.
- Explain the Scope of interior designing. Specify if the work has to be done in a bathroom, or just the home decor, or a room. There might also be a possibility of redesigning the whole house. Clarity makes things easier to deal with.
- Give exact dimensions of the space. The size of the area that needs to be worked on, will help estimate the correct price.
- Experience as an interior designer. An experienced professional will charge more than a beginner.
Here are a few charging models that an interior designer in Delhi makes use of.
Flat Design Formula
A client has to pay a fixed consultancy fee. Flat fee for designing and a flat fee for consultancy. This model does not cost a lot because the designer is supposed to just design and it is the work of the client to execute it.
- It works well if you want to work with your own contractors.
- The designer will take the specific dimensions of the site and create a sketch based on your recommendations.
- 2D and 3D sketches of the design will be drawn that will give you an image of how the site will look after completion.
- At the designing level, a designer will suggest the color scheme, the placement of various accessories, etc.
- Once the design is approved, a designer will give you the specifications of how the plumbing will be done, how the false ceiling will be made, etc.
- There are some designers who offer supervision charges free of cost, while there are others who may charge you for the same. The site visit will help the designer check if the contractors are working as per the approved drawing or not. Ideally, a designer may visit a site once within a week or once in two weeks.
- One of the biggest advantages of working with this charging formula is clarity. Both the designer and the client have a clear idea of their expectations.
Per Square Feet Area Charge
It is also a very transparent form of the fee-charging model. It is a carpet area-based charging model. If you include a bedroom, a bathroom, and a balcony, you will be charged for just that area and not the whole building. The charges will depend on the area that is supposed to be designed.
The more the area, the more a client will be charged. The expertise of the designer also plays an important role in deciding a rate.
Complete Work Project
- An interior designer in Delhi is responsible for the design as well as the execution of the project. The client pays for the complete work. Space planning plays an important role in deciding the scope of the area in question.
- The designer after understanding the scope and the requirements of the clients give an amount that is inclusive of labor and the materials used.
- A client is not required to supervise every move of the contractors or go around in search of materials.
- The material being used includes false ceiling, plumbing, electrical work, tiles, carpets, rugs, furniture, highlighting, etc. are included. The client does not have a lot of control over the materials being used.
Designing And Labor
If none of the above-mentioned models work for this, you can go for this model. In this charging model, the designer asks for the charge of design and labor. The materials being used in furnishing etc are to be managed by the client themselves.
- The design charge and the labor cost are quoted by the designer. They inform the client of the charge for each contractor.
- For example, a carpenter may charge 400-600 rs. per feet for furniture. Similarly, charges are quoted for every work that is supposed to be done.
- The interior designer may accompany the client to various shops and showrooms to help them choose the right product based on their choice. For instance, if you want to buy fittings, like doorknobs, locks, door handles, etc. different price choices are given and it is up to the client to choose the material they deem fit.
- The designing charges can be on a per square feet basis or a flat consultancy charge.
It is noteworthy that it is up to an interior designer in Delhi on how they charge for their services. Each designer charges based on their expertise and work required. The more experienced the designers are, the better it is for the clients.
2. How Interior Designers Work
It is a common notion that the only work of an interior designer is improving the aesthetics of the place. However, that is barely scratching the surface of what interior designers do. Every Interior designer in Delhi works a different way. While some take up small-scale projects, others end up taking the project of the whole house. Depending on your requirements, you can choose the right interior designer.
Interior designers are trained professionals, who are responsible for making a space more habitable, comfortable, and functional for the clients. How they choose to do it, is their choice. Throughout the process, the creativity of the designer and the requirements of the clients play a very important role.
The work of an interior designer is usually covered by following the below-mentioned steps.
Before an interior designer starts working, it is important that the client and the designer are on the same page. It is only after the client and interior designer have signed a work agreement that the work starts. It is very essential that the client-interior designer shares an understanding relationship. Clear communication between both parties is essential.
The scope of work, budget, space dimensions, time duration of the project, etc. are some of the most important things that the designer and client need to agree on. It is only after a budget and scope of work are finalized that other decisions like choosing an interior design style, finalizing the type of furniture, choosing a color palette, etc. are taken into account.
After an interior designer is hired, the process of designing starts. The space measurements are taken and a layout is created. Computer designing tools like AutoCAD, 3Ds max, etc are used to create the best possible designs. An interior works with the available space and the requirements of the clients to create the best design.
This design will be in line with the chosen interior design style. Consideration will be made with respect to appropriate spacing between objects, color schemes, and recommended textures. When designing Residential and Commercial projects, the interior designer also has to keep in mind the mandates and laws applicable in the region of designing.
As important as it is for an interior designer to create a design, it is also necessary that the design on paper is being executed the right way. In such a situation, an interior designer works on-site to provide the best results. A designer also keeps provisions for last-minutes changes that can happen on-site.
The on-site work comprises talking to vendors, finalizing various types of furniture, lighting to use, textures to use, patterns to design, technological advancements to include., etc. This part of the work profile of an interior designer also includes keeping in view the working of plumbing, electrical, and building contractors. As and when required, an interior designer supervises their work and does clear communication to avoid any mistakes being made.
Scope Of Work
There are various types of projects that interior designers work with. You can hire them on the basis of your requirements. It is highly advisable that you involve an interior designer in your work, as soon as possible.
An interior designer can be hired on a contractual basis. In this case, an interior designer works to complete a room or a specific space in question. An interior designer will take measurements of the space and plan the design accordingly. It is usually done for specific space projects. If you are looking to remodel or design a bathroom, instead of the whole house, you can choose to hire an interior designer who has done a Bathroom Design Course online. Similarly, for Commercial designs, you can hire a professional who specializes in the said field of designing.
An interior designer can be hired on a full-time basis to design a complete project. In this case, it is the responsibility of the designer to create designs for the entire building or space. This work responsibility can also include talking to the vendors and choosing the right accessories, following a budget, etc. From design to its execution, everything is under the direct control of the designer.
3. Is It Worth Hiring An Interior Designer
An interior designer works in unison with the clients and various vendors to create the best space to live in. There are various types of interior designers that you can hire depending on the scope of the work and your budget.
It is always a good choice to hire an interior designer. They are professionals who know the correct way of designing any space. You don’t have to go around talking to different vendors to get the right products for your home. We can’t stress enough the fact that it is always worth hiring an interior designer.
There are various reasons why you should hire an interior designer for all your interior designing needs.
When you are designing a home or office on your own, it is most likely that it will be your first project. A person is likely to make mistakes when working with anything for the first time. This happens due to the lack of experience.
- Hiring an interior designer would also mean hiring them for their expertise and the experience they have in designing various buildings.
- If you are looking to design an office, we recommend hiring a commercial interior designer. A commercial interior designer would know more about designing commercial spaces as compared to an interior designer who specializes in designing residences. Similarly, you can either go for an Interior designer who has experience in designing the space you have in mind or an interior designer who has specialized training.
- Experienced interior designers would have a prior understanding of how to balance different elements of interior design.
Better Space Optimization
The space in question plays a very important role in any design. If you have a small space, it is important that it is optimized to fulfill your requirements.
- A designer is better trained to see hidden potentials in any space and make it more functional.
- They can give you ideas with respect to the space in question that you might not have thought of when working alone.
If you are a working professional, you might not have a lot of time in hand to design your own space. In such a situation, an interior designer can come to your rescue.
- In case you want your project to be completed within a stipulated time frame, an interior designer can be of help there too.
- An interior designer will reduce the requirements of having to redo some aspects of designing. It will in turn reduce the amount of time spent on any project.
- You don’t have to personally monitor the contractor. Most designers take it upon themselves to see through the implementation of the design.
A client can get swayed by a lot of things when deciding what products to use in the interiors. Advertisements are the most common access that a client has for any resource.
- An interior designer doesn’t work with retails. For large projects, they turn to wholesalers who provide various materials at a reasonable price.
- Being a professional, a designer will have different vendors and can help you choose the right contractor, who is not only good at what they do but also comes under your budget.
Handles Complicated Work
It can be tedious for a client to implement their ideas by proper communication with different vendors. In this case, an interior designer can be of great help.
- An interior designer will talk to various vendors and make sure the approved design is visible in person.
- With any interior design, there are a lot of nuances involved. Certain government guidelines have to be followed. Hiring an interior designer can ensure no such issues arise. They follow proper protocol and you can remain carefree with the designs.
An interior designer has the access to all the tools required to create the best designs. After the space dimensions have been noted, the work of designing starts immediately.
- An interior designer will use the traditional paper-pen method and various computer graphic tools like AutoCAD, 3Ds max, etc. to create the best designs.
- The designer will take in the clients’ wants and add their own creativity to them. What a client might’ve thought, they will not only implement it but also add in more things of their own to create better designs.
Avoid Costly Mistakes
It is easy for someone with no professional training to make mistakes when designing an interior space. A professional who has a design degree or has done an interior design course online is worth hiring. They help avoid costly mistakes and can anticipate potential problems at the designing level only.
An interior designer has all the technical knowledge required to create any beautiful space.
- Technical aspects of design like plumbing, electric lines, etc. are taken care of by an interior designer.
- If you are redesigning an old property, there might be a lot of authentic, handcrafted elements. An interior designer has the expertise of restoring it to its former glory without destroying it.
Stay within Budget
When a person is designing their own space, they can get swayed by different products available. After you provide your interior designer with a budget, they stick to it, helping you save a lot of money in the process.
Overall, we highly recommend you hire an interior designer for all your design needs. They don’t just make a place more aesthetic, but also very functional and comfortable to reside in.